The Student News Site of Clague Middle School

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

Poll

This poll has ended.

Should Tik Tok be banned?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Martin Luther King Jr. - a civil rights activist and a reminder of the importance of equality and justice
PICRYL
Martin Luther King Jr. – a civil rights activist and a reminder of the importance of equality and justice

Born in 1929, Martin Luther King Junior is found to be one of the most influential figures. He was the main figure to speak out against racial discrimination and segregation in the United States during the 1960s. He led many peaceful protests and marches, including the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom in 1963. This is where he delivered his iconic and impactful “I Have a Dream” speech.

King’s work and activism helped to bring change to the country. This includes the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin) and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (outlawed the discriminatory voting practices adopted in many southern states after the Civil War). He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 for his non-violent approach to fighting racial inequality.

After years of campaigning by civil rights activists, Martin Luther King Jr. Day was first observed as a federal holiday in 1986. It is a day for Americans to reflect on King’s legacy and his message of equality, justice, and peace.

In recent years, there has been a growing recognition of the importance of King’s work beyond the civil rights movement. His message of nonviolence and social justice inspires people worldwide for human rights and equality. 

AAPS and other schools celebrate MLK day by closing schools and having a poster of him in the lunchroom which the kids can decorate.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a time to remember and honor the contributions of one of America’s greatest leaders. This day also serves as a reminder of the ongoing struggle for equality, and justice, and the importance of working together to create a better future for all.