The Student News Site of Clague Middle School

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

Poll

This poll has ended.

Should Tik Tok be banned?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

April 17 storm: Safety and Precautions

Students probably have noticed the sudden rainfall coming down today, April 17. Around 12 p.m., Michigan announced a severe thunderstorm watch for 32 counties, including Washtenaw County, where Ann Arbor is.

A severe thunderstorm is a storm that has winds exceeding 58 miles per hour, and that is just what happened today around 3 p.m. Students also probably remember that school dismissal was delayed until 3:10 p.m. (seven minutes later than usual).

According to michigan.gov, when experiencing a severe thunderstorm, it is much safer to be inside a secure building or a vehicle (but not a convertible) than to be left in the open. While it is still possible to get injuries inside a car during lightning strikes, it is extremely rare and will be much less likely than to be outside (it is roughly 100 times safer to be in a car than to be outside).

Furthermore, ready.gov states that it is crucial to avoid using electronic devices connected to an electrical outlet. This could be your charging phone, tablet, or computer, or any other device connected to the outlet.

So in case of a severe thunderstorm, you should just simply stay indoors and listen to a trusted adult’s advice.