AAPS closes amid safety concerns

All+AAPS+schools+will+be+closed+tomorrow+as+a+precaution+for+potential+violent+threats.+

Sara-Beth Badalamente

All AAPS schools will be closed tomorrow as a precaution for potential violent threats.

Satvika Ramanathan

Tomorrow, Dec. 3, Ann Arbor Public Schools will be closed due to potential violence threats on social media following the Oxford High School shooting on Tuesday. 

“While these posts have not been determined to be credible at this time, the volume is quite high,” superintendent Jeanice Swift said in an email sent to families. “Closing schools will allow school administrators and law enforcement an opportunity to investigate all reported concerns. It will also allow us to reset our AAPS learning environments that were significantly impacted today by rumors and concerns stemming from social media chatter.”

She also said that AAPS is working with the local police and safety departments to ensure safety for everyone. 

“Please speak with your children about the seriousness of making or sharing threats,” Swift continued. “Law enforcement and school leaders will investigate every threat and take whatever action is warranted to protect our students and community, up to and including prosecution for those responsible.”

The email also said to communicate with principals, counselors, and/or teachers about any concerns, as well as included information about OK2SAY, an anonymous way to directly reach the school and law enforcement. To reach out, people can call 855-5OK-2SAY, text 652729 (OK2SAY), or submit a report at [email protected].

“We understand the very real pressure and fear that many students are feeling and know that our parents and staff are equally concerned,” Swift said. “We also understand the priority of attending school every day when we can safely do so; we want our students learning in our AAPS classrooms.  We remain committed to our relationship with local law enforcement, who take every report or rumor seriously and investigate immediately, so that we can safely convene school.”

Swift concluded the email by saying that safety is still the most important priority and that they look forward to seeing everyone again on Monday, Dec. 6.