Candy Grams: Student Council’s New Fundraising Endeavor

Eighth+graders+Emily+Hu%2C+Abhi+Velivela%2C+and+Olivia+Liao+organizing+Candy+Grams.+

Jessica Wu

Eighth graders Emily Hu, Abhi Velivela, and Olivia Liao organizing Candy Grams.

Jessica Wu

As Valentine’s Day and Random Acts of Kindness days neared on the 14th and 17th of February, respectively, the seventh and eighth grade Student Council began their sales for Candy Grams. 

“Candy grams are a fun social activity and a way for Clague students to reach out to one another and offer positive words of encouragement and support to their friends and peers,” Andrea Jakubowski, Spanish teacher and the organizer and leader of the two different grades’ student council said. 

These handwritten cards that come with Valentine’s Day themed candy could be purchased by students and faculty members, and gifted to anyone who needs to be celebrated and appreciated. Sales began on Tuesday, Feb. 8, and continued throughout the week during each grade’s lunch period until the succeeding week’s Wednesday, Feb. 16. 

“The initial idea actually came from Mrs. Fluker, so I will give her full credit,” Jakubowski said, “Back in the fall, when we were outlining some ideas for Student Council throughout the year, we thought February would be a great time to do a fundraiser and social activity like this with Valentine’s Day and Random Acts of Kindness Day around the corner.”

Eighth grade student council members also additionally wrote out anonymous Candy Gram cards to any students and faculty members who didn’t receive one. This act of thoughtfulness fits perfectly with Random Acts of Kindness Day. 

“The Candy grams, the note cards themselves, along with the piece of candies will be delivered to friends on Thursday, Feb. 17, Random Acts of Kindness Day, and if necessary, Friday, Feb. 18.”