The Student News Site of Clague Middle School

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

Poll

This poll has ended.

Should Tik Tok be banned?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Budget cuts announced for AAPS

Francis Badalamente
Thurston librarian Sharyl Burau pickets before the AAPS board meeting at Pioneer on May 20.

Early picketing started at Pioneer High School before the School Board meeting on Monday May 20. Teachers, staff, community members, and students gathered outside. They said, “more cuts to the top,” while marching and clapping making it so people could see and hear them. Fox News and many other reporters were on the scene to cover the event.
At 7:01 p.m. the board members argued about how many minutes every person could speak because 202 people had signed up for public commentary. Each person was given one minute. The theme of public commentary was about elementary foreign language cuts, specials teachers reductions and co-directors of music reductions.
Clague eighth grader Sarah Hoffert submitted for commentary:
“I wanted to stand up for my teachers today, I recently heard about all of the teachers you are cutting and I feel ashamed that I am a part of this school district. These teachers that you just cut have made such a big difference in my life. At Thurston elementary school we learned Chinese and I remember everything they taught us, we always had fun and enjoyed being in that class always laughing learning and singing. In middle school at Clague our assistant music directors are some of the best people I have met. You can always ask them questions, joke with them and just talk to them. All of these teacher right now that you just cut are taking away precious memories that kid’s can (and have been) making. Not only that but you are taking away multiple things AAPS prides themself on. Such as a great music program and elementary languages. Cutting these teachers will just bring AAPS down and ruin what we have our pride in. We are not a community anymore. These teachers mean so much to me and kids all around AAPS – Don’t cut them because we love them and need them to have a successful life. Support our teachers,” Hoffert wrote.
At the end of the meeting the board voted 6-1 to pass the $20.1 million proposal from superintendent Jazz Parks.