Return to in-person learning delayed one extra day as staffing and COVID issues remain

Sara-Beth Badalamente

AAPS is remaining online on Monday and will return to in-person learning Tuesday.

Satvika Ramanathan

Due to COVID rates and staffing issues, AAPS will remain in virtual school on Monday, Jan. 10, and most schools, including Clague, will transition into in-person learning starting Tuesday, Jan. 11. Ann Arbor Open and Bach are to stay virtual.

“It is important to understand that we are shifting our focus from prevention of COVID to the work of managing high numbers of cases and outbreak containment, and continuing the priority of having our schools open for students and staff to experience in-school learning,” superintendent Jeanice Swift said in a communication sent to parents.

To help stop the spread of COVID, AAPS will have four vaccine clinics at Pioneer High School from 4-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 11, Tuesday, Jan. 18, Tuesday, Jan. 25, and Tuesday, Feb. 1, including boosters for students 12 to 15. Students can register here, and more information will be sent out in the upcoming days.

“We understand that some students and families will want to remain in a remote learning setting for additional days, and parents should contact their building principal to discuss possible next steps,” Swift communicated. “As always, our teams will provide support to meet the needs of our students and families.”

If students and their families are interested in staying virtual for longer with either live or asynchronous learning, they can contact Robin Kocher, A2Virtual Village Principal, at [email protected]. There are limited spots available, and families should plan to continue the program throughout the semester. 

“The most important ways that our students and staff, families and community can help to support this critical effort to keep our schools open is to ensure vaccination and boosters and to monitor daily for any symptoms and remain home while symptoms persist, regardless of vaccination status,” Swift concluded.