Cougars of Clague: Social Studies teacher Laura Jender

Lakshya Jaiganesh, Staff Writer

Courtesy of Jender

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

A: Well, I’ve been teaching at Clague for 20 years. I love music, reading, art, gardening, and cooking.

Q: What has been your favorite part about this school year?

A: At first, it was not my favorite, with COVID and everything, but now, I’ve found a lot of positives in online learning. I think it was such a challenge initially and it was very frustrating, but I’ve accomplished a lot of learning and that feels good, to learn something entirely new. The shift to online learning reinforced what I already knew about our incredible Clague Community.  The students, parents, and staff at Clague work together to support each other with patience, empathy, care and, “gentle grace.”  I’ve also learned how resilient our students are when facing difficult circumstances.  Clague Cougars are amazing!

Q: What is one goal you have for this year?

A: Foremost, I want our students to continue to thrive and remain safe, healthy, and happy.  I also hope that my students will develop an interest and curiosity about the world around them and the critical issues our global community is facing.  Finally, I want our students to understand how they can actively, and constructively voice their opinions about these issues.

Q: What is your favorite class and why?

A: I just teach one class, World Geography, so I don’t exactly have a favorite class.

Q: What hobbies/sports do you do?

A: As I said before, I read, do art, I garden, and cook. I play the cello and the piano. I do yoga and I walk a lot.