The Student News Site of Clague Middle School

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

The Cougar Star

Poll

This poll has ended.

Should Tik Tok be banned?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Clague principal Kyron Harvell finishes doctorate in education

Clagues principal, Kyron Harvell, just earned his doctorate.
Jaewon Lee
Clague’s principal, Kyron Harvell, just earned his doctorate.

In an academic pursuit, formally known Clague principal Mr. Harvell now became a “Doctor” Harvell. He recently earned and added a prestigious title to his life: the doctorate. His journey to this moment not only added pride in him and his family, but may assist him in all his educational work in the future.

“It feels amazing to finally be referred to as Dr. Harvell,” Harvell said. His journey to this academic doctorate was no easy feat, but he managed to achieve his goal of becoming a doctor.

Highlighting the parts of the studying process regarding the doctorate, Harvell also added that “this was a very intensive process.”

“Over the last few years, I’ve spent an additional eight hours a day on top of my job analyzing data and conducting research,” he said.

Harvell also credits and thanks his family (wife and his brother) in their unwavering support. In the end, the studying (and also the support from his family) did pay off for Harvell to earn a doctorate.

The pathway to earning a doctorate is not an easy journey. Harvell highlighted that “the doctorate consists of a great deal of reading, writing papers, analyzing data, conducting research, as well as quantitative and qualitative analysis.” Mr. Harvell’s research conducted the “4 Principals of Color in Michigan, a story of resisting, persisting, and thriving in K-12 Education,” as Harvell stated.

The end of this process, as Harvell states, was a defense of “your dissertation which is between 150-200 pages of research to a committee of doctors who will challenge your research and ask lots of questions about your study.” After completing this intense process, Harvell says that you can finally earn the title.

With his new doctorate degree with him, Harvell continues and is setting his sights into further contributions to the learning program. He plans to create and establish his own educational and counseling firm in Michigan. He also even plans to eventually branch out this formation nationally with the help of his brother (also a doctor) and his friends.

His motivation stemmed from personal thoughts, of which inspired by her mother who emphasized the importance and value of education. Her mother wanted both Harvell and his brother to become a doctor.

“I was motivated to pursue a doctorate degree by my mother who passed away in 2004,” Harvells said. “She always instilled the importance of education to my brother and I and wanted us to both become doctors.”

Harvell’s achievement is not only a personal milestone, but it opens new possibilities to the educational program that no one could have foreseen. His story of becoming a doctorate, a vivid illustration about how hard working, determination, and resilience, shows that anyone can achieve and become a doctorate, just if they have sheer determination to do what they want.

View Comments (3)